A fertility clinic that ticks all the boxes
Choosing an IVF clinic is one of the most important decisions you have to make when deciding to undergo fertility treatment and it is not as easy as you think. There are approximately 40 IVF clinics in Nigeria which register success rates of between 15% and 48% in terms of embryo transfer. You may think that this narrows the field but a high success rate is not the only factor to consider.
IVF clinics in Nigeria are not regulated by a professional body. This does not mean that some clinics are no good but it does mean that you must do some careful research before you commit yourself. You could do this research by asking the right questions.
How committed are you?
Before you start your search, decide how far you are willing to take the fertility process. Advanced reproductive technology is expensive and can involve hormones which might affect your emotional stability.
Check the rules
Make sure that the clinics you are interested in treat patients in your category. Some clinics refuse treatment to women who have experienced previous IVF cycle failures. Others do not treat women over the age of 40 years with their own eggs. Does this disqualify you?
What do you need to know?
You need to know as much as possible. It’s your body and you must feel comfortable with your choice. Careful checking can make all the difference to the quality of your experience and the success of your treatment.
Ask your fertility specialist
- How long have you worked here?
- Where did you receive your medical training and when?
- How long have you been treating infertility?
- Do you have a treatment specialty?
- How many patients have you treated with IVF?
- How many IVF cycles have you performed?
Check with the clinic
- When was this clinic established?
- How many treatments does it carry out in a year?
- What is the clinic’s IVF success rate?
- Are there any restrictions for treatment in terms of age, positive screening for HIV tests and other conditions?
*49% - Gold standard rate for 2015 - Currently being audited by Alexander Forbes.
The Bridge Clinic
637 in 2015
What are the most common procedures?
The Bridge Clinic is a specialist clinic focusing on specialist treatments.
READ MORE about Primary Care ,
Specialist Care ,
Advanced Care ,
- In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) + IMSI
- Intracytoplasmic Morphologically Selected Sperm Injection (IMSI)
- Blastocyst culture and transfer
- Male infertility investigations
- IVF Surrogacy
Things you want to know about your treatment
- What tests will I need to have before treatment begins? READ about FertilitySure
- How long will the tests take?
- How soon can I start treatment? Is there a waiting list?
- How often will I need to visit the clinic?
- Will there be any side effects from the treatment?
- What will happen if I don't achieve pregnancy? How long before I can try again?
Some things are more important than you think
- Will I see the same doctor throughout the treatment?
- Is the clinic open every day including weekends and bank holidays?
- Who will help me after hours?
- What counselling and patient support groups are available to me?
- (This is particularly important because fertility treatment can be stressful).
The laboratory is the key to it all
- How strict are you about the laboratory processes?
- How experienced are your laboratory staff?
- What measures do you have in place to prevent mistakes in the laboratory?
- What storage facilities do you have to store frozen eggs, embryos and sperm?
Costs are a reality
- What is the cost of IVF and other treatments?
- How much do the drugs I will need cost?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- How often will I be billed?
- Have you got a payment plan?
Questions you should ask yourself
A pre-visit to the clinic or clinics of your choice, is always a good idea. When you are there ask yourself how comfortable you feel. Is there someone to show you around and answer your questions or is everyone too busy to bother. Do you like the staff that you meet and how do the other patients seem? First impressions are important and will tell you a great deal.
Reputation is everything
At the end of the day a clinic rests on its reputation and personal recommendations are invaluable. Listen to what your friends say and talk to people who have undertaken treatment at the clinic you are considering.
We invite you to request a list of clients, who have given us their permission to do so, who you can contact directly and ask them about their experience at The Bridge Clinic. Alternatively read our testimonials HERE.
The Bridge Clinic ticks all the boxes
We have compiled this list to help you choose a fertility clinic that ticks all the right boxes. We can honestly say that we do. Make an appointment to ask our fertility specialists these questions in person. We look forward to welcoming you at The Bridge Clinic.