21:46 9th December 2017 | Transport IVF
Oocytes IVF Plachot Feichtinger Kemeter
Incubators Gamete Transporters Assisted Conception
PGD PGS Cryopreservation Ovarian Stimulation Fertility Clinics
InTransport IVF was first developed and tested by Plachot et al. in France and by Feichtinger and Kemeter in Vienna.
It involves the transport of oocytes (mature ova/eggs) from a clinic to an IVF lab. Once they reach the IVF lab they can be fertilised and cultured.
The resultant embryos are then transported back to the original clinic for transfer. Highly trusted incubators, known as gamete transporters, are used for the transport process.
These trusted incubators are carried by embryologists who also perform egg collection and embryo transfer or alternatively by trained personnel for transfer across clinics.
What is the Purpose of Transport IVF?
When a private or public hospital partners with a fertility clinic such as Bridge Clinic, high quality assisted conception services can be provided at an affordable cost.
What are Bridge Clinic’s Objectives for Transport IVF?
The objectives are as follows:
- Build capacity and offer training and support for assisted reproductive techniques at partner clinics and hospitals.
- Reduce the cost of setup of an assisted conception unit for the partner clinic/hospital by providing technical assistance for the laboratory procedures in an existing, off-site
- Offer basic laboratory and advanced services such as PGD/PGS and cryopreservation services to partner clinics and hospitals.
Criteria Partners Need to Meet
- The existence of a gynaecological unit in the hospital clinic: required level of technical competence vis-a-vis professional experience.
- Moderately setup laboratory to handle egg collection/embryo transfer procedures: for onsite procedures.
- A minimum number of patient flow (10 clients per month) in a designated period to determine the viability of the partnership: this will help ensure that the business remains
viable and profitable to both partners.
- Serology screening must be done with ISO certified laboratory (ISO 15189).
Partner Selection Criteria
To be selected, partners need to have the following basic laboratory equipment and materials for Transport IVF:
- Light Microscope
- Laminar Flow Hood
- Gamete Transporter (Optional)
Which Procedures Take Place at the Partner Clinic
- Patient Selection
- Ovarian Stimulation
- Ultrasound-guided follicular fluid aspiration
The egg collection and embryo transfer are then transported to the fertility clinic, for example Bridge Clinic, where oocytes, fertilisation and culture of resultant embryos take
Benefits of Transport IVF
- Strict quality control of laboratory procedures
- Performance of different groups of patients and physicians can be compared
- Reduces cost of average IVF cycle by about 30%: reduced cost to set up and maintain individual IVF laboratories and maximise use of existing equipment and personnel
- High-quality assisted conception services are more cost-effective, especially in locations where a limited amount of highly specialised IVF laboratories exist
- Assisted conception techniques available to those physicians not affiliated with assisted conception centres
- Better use of existing facilities and expertise to offer communities more comprehensive and organised infertility services
- IVF services are more accessible to patients who may not have a facility at a location more convenient for them
- Patients can stay close to home since majority of procedures can be done by a doctor they know; emotional discomfort as well as travel and accommodation costs possibly reduced
- For quality assurance and quality control purposes, excellent communication between fertility clinics and their partner clinics must be ensured and they must adhere to the same
- Partner clinic physicians have to receive training to ensure familiarity with transvaginal ultrasound measurement of follicles according to the protocol of the transport clinic.
Would you like to book an appointment? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Call: 01 631 0092 / +234 (0)1 631 0092
Visit: 66 Oduduwa Way, Ikeja GRA